About the Eastern Area Links
The legacy of The Philadelphia Links is the story of The Links, Incorporated. It is also the story of the Eastern Area. What began as the Philadelphia Club in 1946, along with 13 other clubs created in its own image, was reborn as National Links in 1949.
In 1954, when the Links decentralized into four geographical Areas, the Philadelphia Chapter became the anchor for the Eastern Area. The Eastern Area is comprised of 73 chapters in the states of Connecticut, Delaware. District of Columbia, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and Virginia. At the 1949 national meeting, the Executive Council named coordinators to supervise chapters in defined boundaries. In 1952, each Area held an Area meeting and elected a director. Eastern named Madeline Broadus from the Central Jersey Chapter as the first Eastern Area Director, and it subsequently chose 15 others, including the latest Area Director Dianne S. Hardison, Old Dominion (VA) Chapter.
For more on the history of the Eastern Area Links, visit the website